To support the modern student, the university is transforming its library. While preservation of rare books and the prized Incunabula collection remain a priority, there is room for a reinvented library. One with collaboration rooms and shared technology. A place for faculty to learn new instructional methods and record lectures. A place where knowledge is exchanged freely and students can grow and learn.
In 2014, thanks to a local foundation grant, the university opened a unique, innovative space in the lower level of the Library--the Student Success Center. This space is student-driven. Students tutor one another, lead supplemental instruction sessions, and seek career advice all under one roof.
Our vision for Brenner Library is to create a Learning Commons space with comfortable and modular furniture for both group and individual study as well as updated technology support. We envision the merging of information literacy and information technology in spaces which allow for exploration, flexibility, and which are adaptive to user needs.
The expanded Gray Gallery will be a focal point on the main floor and will display faculty and student artwork as well as traveling exhibitions. Other collections include oldest and rarest books in print. These prized 57 are called "Incunabula" and are registered with the United States Library of Congress.
Empowering Student Success
"I am highly impressed with what the Student Success Center looks like right now. Because of the presentation of the center, the multiple resources it provides such as the classrooms and labs, individual study rooms, and the tutors, I enjoy going there more often to do homework and study."-Kanapali Blackwood '16
- Areas for large group, small group, and individual study to suit varying study needs
- Academic Technology Center with hardware and software featured on rotating basis to allow experimentation
- Collaboration tools to be used in group study, project collaboration, and social learning.
- Mobile technology (laptops, tablets, etc.) for in-house use and checkout
- Robust and expanded WiFi services
- Software and hardware to support video and digital editing and lecture capture
- Technology and Research support
- Expanded Gray Gallery